IB&M Sponsors ALL KBS 2018 Field Dayshttp://www.independentmalt.com/wp-content/themes/osmosis/images/empty/thumbnail.jpg 150 150 Independent Malt Independent Malt http://www.independentmalt.com/wp-content/themes/osmosis/images/empty/thumbnail.jpg
The Michigan State University malting barley research program is excited to showcase the research underway for the 2018 crop season. The MSU Malting Barley Field Day in Hickory Corners starts at 8 a.m. with registration and refreshments, followed by an educational program featuring MSU researchers, representatives from the barley seed industry and a tour of the research plots. Station manager and barley researcher Book Wilke will share his experiences with growing malting barley and his project underway for double-cropping opportunities. The field day will conclude with a free networking lunch.
The following research projects will be on display and results from the 2017 trials will be shared.
- Eastern Spring Barley Nursery: 28 spring malting barley varieties tested for agronomic and malt quality performance.
- Winter Malting Barley Trial: 27 winter malting barley varieties tested for agronomic and malt quality performance.
- Winter Malting Barley Management Trials: Various management treatments are explored in this research, including fertility and fungicide.
Two other field day opportunities are scheduled and can be registered for at the MSU
Malting Barley Field Day page.
- Luckhardt Field Day, June 19, 6-8 p.m., Saline, Michigan
- Thumb Field Day, June 25, 5-7 p.m., Kawkawlin, Michigan